Saturday, December 18, 2010

Winter Family Fun


SANTA BABY (At least she's still my baby)

Mira was seriously the cutest little Santa I've ever seen. She wanted to wear her hair down because she said it was prettier. I REALLY wanted to pull it up into a ballerina bun - but Mira told me "Mom, none of the other girls wear their hair like that, so I don't think it's good." Already a conformist - dangit! :-)
Now last years dance concert (with a difference teacher) was a complete nightmare. It was downtown, parking was awful, and the concert was 2 1/2 hours long - NOT KIDDING! And Mira's dance was just crazy. All of the girls her age were dressed up like donkeys and they got on their hands and knees and acted like donkeys. It was weird to say the least. I can't believe I paid all that money so my little girl could be an Ass. Granted most the time she's a pain in mine - but when she dances I prefer to see a princess or something precious - after all she is my only girl and this may be my only chance for these cheesy girly things.
But this time was awesome! We got there with our Posee' and hunckered down for the long haul. Mira was the first to dance. She was so cute! And than - to my surprise - she was done. We got to get her and go home. 45 minutes!! 45 minutes was all that took - it was a Christmas miracle :-) Now that's the way to do a dance concert.

TEMPLE SQUARE LIGHTS (and brake lights)


So Justin says to me last Monday "We should go to Temple Square tonight!" After the shock wore off I'm like "Are you crazy?"
O.k. - so going anywhere right now is like a huge production. There's always one kid crying, screaming, or whining (and sometimes more than one). A poopy diaper that may result in an outfit change, a hungry baby that needs "Mom" and all that entails, extra blankets, coats, shoes, finding potty for Boyd, man I could go on and on about how fun going out in public is with the whole fam - but I'll spare you all the dirty details.
So needless to say I had a pissy attitude about the whole thing. I had just got my 3rd cold in 2 1/2 months, Xay gave me the usual 4 hours of sleep the night before, and I was Mrs. grumpy pants.
BUT - like all mothers do, at least the crazy ones, we packed the kids up and headed downtown. I think my exact words to Justin were "This is gonna suck!"
Traffic was awful and Justin wanted me to drive around the block looking for a front space. Oh how I love his optimism sometimes! I, of course, ignored this suggestion and headed to the guaranteed space at the JSMB - which he later admitted was a good idea :-)
One double wide, and one single stroller later - we trudge to the lights.
O.k. - I admit I was having a bad attitude. Too many times of "trying" to do fun things with the kids that just end up with one exhausted mom had soured me a little.


So first we go up to the top floor and see the view of the temple. It really is quite an amazing temple. Plus I always love how it smells like rolls baking in the JSMB - it's just a homey feeling. I asked the kids if they wanted to go and see the Jesus statue - and Mira says "nah" - and than I say "It's in the space room!" and both her and Boyd are like Alright - let's go! Ah the space room - thank you for being so cool.
So we go and see the Christus (I have no idea how to spell that) - and listen to the presentation and than watch the baby Jesus movie and go get hot chocolate.
O.k. - so I have to admit it didn't suck. It was actually really nice. There's a definite spirit at temple square this time of year that's just calming and sweet. I actually felt rejuvenated as opposed to the usual drainage. I'm so glad we went. In fact Mira's been asking every day since if we can go back again. She calls it the "Jesus place". :-)



No comments: